Thursday, January 22, 2009

Who tied this bow???


My mom loves to tell the story of the moment I became a Bridezilla. It happened when she, my sister, and step-mother came over to help me tie bows around the sweets I was to have placed on hotel guests' beds at turn-down time the Friday before my own wedding. "WHO TIED THIS BOW???" I shrieked, as I examined a box of six Krispy Kreme donuts around which, in my estimation, was a less than perfectly tied green and white striped gross grain ribbon.

Fortunately, my mother has a great sense of humor and shot back at me with something witty which got us all laughing. To this day, she will still sometimes feign shock and horror and cry, "WHO TIED THIS BOW???" at full volume, a perfect impersonation of me in my moment of mania. Every time it makes me laugh. And every time it reminds me that in life (and especially in wedding planning), you have got to take yourself less seriously! As a bride, it is so easy to get bogged down with details and to drive yourself crazy making sure that everything is perfect. Believe me, I've been there and I know.

But it is vitally important that you remember these three things: 1. There is no such thing as perfect. 2. No one, and I mean no one, will notice an ill-tied bow other than you. 3. The only thing your wedding guests will remember, even if your linens are starched, the sunset is spectacular over the water as you say your vows, or Justin Timberlake makes a guest appearance with your band, is a stressed out bride.

Take it easy. You owe it to yourself, your guests, and of course, your mother!

No comments: