Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Mmmmmm cupcakes.



My inaugural post is in honor of the inauguration (of course!) and of my sister Mary, who has never met a cupcake she didn't like. I think she's even written songs about them. And like many brides over the past 8 years or so, she served them in lieu of a wedding cake at her own fabulous, very uptown-chic wedding at a city club in Manhattan.

Since winter is a wonderful time to pack on a few extra pounds to stay warm, I thought I'd take this opportunity to encourage you to eat more cupcakes. And from a wedding planning point of view, say that I still think that noshing on a cupcake, rather than on a piece of cake, for your first shared meal as husband and wife remains a perfectly en vogue and wonderfully sweet way to celebrate the start of your new life together.

While dessert bars became all the rage at weddings in 2008 as a clever and festive alternative to a plated dessert or wedding cake, why not get back to basics at your winter 2009 wedding and give your guests what they are craving: six delicious bites of heaven wrapped into a perfectly sized package and iced with love (or sometimes buttercream flowers). Here's a photo of some of my favorite cupcakes. No need to get fancy with flavors; chocolate and vanilla are always a hit! These particular ones are displayed geometrically on a simple, white pottery platter. This is a fresh alternative to the cupcake tree.

I wish I could go to Magnolia Bakery right now!

No comments: