Sunday, January 17, 2010

New Resolutions

Well, here we are 17 days into the new year and I'm writing my first post of 2010. Happy New Year! The days have been getting away from me as I try desperately to motivate to make the most of my time and exercise, dig my heels into my work, home, friends, family, while finding it really hard to get anything done in this grey, dreary weather. I imagine I'm not the only one who feels this way in January, but sometimes it feels like it.

I'm going to do my best this year to be more present on this blog and in my life in general. I always say, "Be Where You Are", and I need to take my own advice. It's so easy in January to get distracted, be tired, lack energy, and drift from your tasks at hand while forgetting to focus on the moment, the present, the here and now! Maybe we can try and BE more present together.

Let's start with a few ways to enjoy your wedding planning and your life in general during the most "blah" of the winter months when it's difficult to find the motivation to do much of anything. Here goes!
  • Make time each day (even 20 or 30 minutes) to walk or exercise. Your mood will be better, your spirits higher, and your wedding dress will fit that much better at your fitting. No one wants to cram their weight loss and exercise into the 3 weeks prior to the wedding. Start early, be consistent, and you will see results in all areas of your body and mind.
  • Try your best to sleep 8 or more hours per night. Again, your mood will be better, your skin will be clearer, you have a better chance of losing or keeping weight off (if that's one of your new year's or wedding goals), and nothing in the world beats feeling rested. You'll be better able to face your wedding planning and your day with pluck and not pessimism!
  • Watch American Idol, especially during these first few weeks of auditions. You will LAUGH (I promise!) and you know what they say about laughter being the best medicine. This is free entertainment that will go along way. It sure does with me...I find myself laughing out loud long after the show has ended.
  • Call your friends. Some of them may be far away, but what better reason to pick up the phone and say hi, tell them you miss them, and get some good support from those you love. Most of my nearest and dearest are in states far, far away and I find that one of the best pick me ups there is is to hear their voices and remember that no time or distance can break us apart. The months during which you plan your wedding is a perfect time to catch up with old friends. They really do want to hear how you are but are also there to give you a respite from your own "stuff", if you need it.
  • Get a pedicure. Need I say more?
  • Discover tea. There are so many delicious and wonderful varietals and there is nothing quite as soothing as a hot cup of tea in the morning, afternoon, or evening before bed. It's the little things that bring joy and peace and drinking tea is one of my favorite little ways to calm down, collect my thoughts, or find a moment of quiet in a hectic day.
  • Carolina Brides: Consider attending the various bridal shows that are coming up (start with the Carolina Inn show on January 31st). Bridal shows are a fabulous way to meet vendors, get ideas, and just enjoy the many splendors of the wedding world. Each time I attend a bridal show I am reminded of just why I chose this fantastic industry in the first place. There is no better way to get excited about your upcoming wedding than attending one of these events.
  • Go through your To Do list (I know you have one!) and resolve to get at least one major task done each week, maybe two. I don't know about you, but I absolutely love checking things off the list; it feels sooooo good. And believe me, it will make the couple months and weeks prior to your big day much more enjoyable if you aren't racing to the finish line..
XOXO
grace

P.S. Beautiful photo of the Carolina Theater by Kevin Milz Photography.

1 comment:

Katherine said...

I particularly enjoy the pedicure suggestion! :)