Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Everything Old Is New Again


On Sunday, my husband and I made a much dreaded (by me) trip to Sam's Club. I am not a lover of the mega-store packed with over sized everything. I'm not trying to speak poorly about it and know that it has it's value and that many people love it and swear by it, I'm simply saying that my house lacking in good storage space to fit bulk anything, and so the sight of tubs of guacamole, barrels of pretzels, and crates of toilet tissue send shivers down my spine. I hate clutter. But, I digress. We went in there to buy a few things including a case of Pellegrino ($12!), which I find is one of the most super fantastic hidden gems at Sam's.

On the way out, I walked past the fresh flower section and thought it'd be nice to get some for the house. I was feeling a little too cheap to buy a small $20 arrangement and so I almost moved on, when I noticed the petite yet colorful section of carnations. A lovely little bunch of hot pink ones caught my eye and seemed to wink at me in their own cheerful, flirty way, and so I snatched them up immediately. Off I went with my Pellegrino and $6 of pure joy - my hot pink carnations.

I'm officially bringing carnations back. I know I am not the first one and so I'll come right out and say that I am behind on the tacky-turned-kitchy-turned-chic nature of these flowers, but that's beside the point. They are colorful, cheery, inexpensive, and when put together in a simple, sophisticated way (as I have done with a low, square container and some rocks), look just about as fresh and stylish as Blake Lively's golden tresses. And for SIX DOLLARS! It's the little things that matter these days, and I can tell you that these are a petite treat that have brightened up my mood more than once this week thus far.


No comments: